Sunday 9 February 2014

Week 16

Weaving commences for Ralph Lauren collection, entitled - Urban Darks.

Before the initial weaving process could begin, i first needed to decide upon structures and patterns. The colour wrap in the last post shows how the warp will look, i have slightly altered it and added a few inches to the right hand side, as i feel it had a stumpy element to it that i wanted to eradicate. Measuring 16 inches wide i am hoping the warp will produce samples that have the sense of being made for purpose, fabrics for upholstery etc. 

The earlier end of this week saw me delving into the world of shape and pattern, in a bid to find one single idea i could run with. After doing two sets of double cloths so far, i feel it is right for this warp to be plain and flat, with only one warp densely set, with 48 2/16 cotton ends to every inch. 

The initial imagery i collected has led me to look at the idea of points and twill's. Ralph Lauren themselves use twill's often within their fabrics so i feel this is a nice link to their existing works.

Examples of pattern development and proportions.



Photoshop repeats are an important tool for me to use, they enable me to get a sense of what a fabric will look like once woven. Structure is the most important thing for my work so this element is crucial. I have been slightly inspired by my second double cloth warp (white wool and cotton). The recurring square shapes led me to develop a series of pixelated edits, informing my choice of colour and proportions for the weft of my samples.



No comments:

Post a Comment