Sunday 23 March 2014

Unit X - Week 4

Single cloth developments.

After looking further into the Moderica website and the notion of 'Application of colour' I stumbled upon the work of Sarah Morris, A British painter who's work uses both strong bold colours and sharp white linear edges. The proportions and composition Morris uses is something that has inspired me to add a different element to my woven pieces. The juxtaposition created gives the impression of movement and depth, qualities that I feel would add a new dimension to my work.






Proportion is a key element in how colour can be used effectively, with this in mind I began to extract my chosen colours based on how often they appear within a selected section. For the purposes of continuity I feel that it is right to continue using imagery that I have already sourced, as there are still ideas and concepts that were not fully exhausted within the last warp. The images from my visit to Spinngfields have both a strong, bold colour palette as well as sharp clean edges to work from in regards to pattern analysis.

Having spent the last 4 weeks working on 2 separate double cloths, I feel it is now the time to move onto a different challenge, my new found inspirations aiding my decision to do so. The plan is to next weave a single cloth, split between 2 separate blocks each on a pointed draft. This will enable the use of varied patterning and structures.

























This week I also challenged myself to search for pattern outside of my usual 'Architectural' eye. This has helped me massively, finding pattern and structure within pavements, walls and shop shutters. Having spent so long looking at the world around me in a very linear way I have found this week exciting and although at first this self set task seemed challenging, I discovered that pattern is all around in so many different forms and guises.

As you can see the shapes that stand out are very repetitive and of chevron style. The fourth image has so far proved the most informative and I have been able to develop and plan potential patterning with this as my main source of inspiration.




No comments:

Post a Comment