Sunday 11 May 2014

Unit X - Week 8


Orange ornate stripes

After completing my single cloth last week I felt it was time to branch out and look at a new, more vivid palette. Something that felt lifted and bright. I have been gathering visuals that hold structure and pattern formations, but that also have stronger hues and brighter shades than those I have worked with in the past.

Blues, blacks and whites are colours that I have repeated many times this year, I opted this week to restrict myself from using these colours and found imagery that held little or no traces of said colours. Challenging myself at this stage is vital, I want the work to stay fresh and changing the palette will enhance the look and feel of the fabric.

New inspiration came from photographing architectural buildings at sun set. By choosing to gather imagery at a certain time of the day, I knew from the onset that I would be limiting my palette. This decision turned out to work in my favour. A bold, glass structured building proved to be a source of great colour. Picking out the key colours and ordering them according to how often they appear in the original image I have developed two warp plans, as shown below.
























Choosing to weave a double cloth again came after watching the colours change as time progressed. The difference in tones proved fascinating, leading me to once again toy with the idea of hiding and revealing sections of colour. Thus a double cloth.

The two palettes work well together and I have chosen to work with both schemes so as to enable many different colour ways and striped appearances.



No comments:

Post a Comment