Thursday 22 May 2014

Unit X - Week 10

Project Conclusion.

The last 10 weeks have seen me develop a strong body of work, focused and clear with key elements running through the duration. I have developed a way of working that best suits me. The digital manipulations that I have focused on during this project have enabled me to develop a stronger, more direct approach to my design development, resulting in a more concise and clear body of work. I have become familiar with my chosen contexts, and feel that working for two different output (Commercial interior fabrics and deck chair slings) has broadened my horizons, allowing me to not feel restrained and stuck within the constraints of working for one sole context.

Designing samples and longer lengths with specific features was something that at first I was apprehensive about, limiting myself to using twills and 8 shaft diamond structures unknown to me. Despite this the challenge was worth it and I feel that now more than ever I have a body of work that fits well together, is coherent and is well suited to my area of context.

Creating my portfolio has allowed me to be selective when it comes to my work, I am able to edit down and chose the right amount of supporting work, so as not to overpower the viewer. The samples placed within this portfolio are ones that I feel best represent what I am about as a designer and also my concepts. Receiving positive feedback from professionals earlier in the project allowed me to be confident about my bold choices and to not shy away from the path I was working on. Despite my intentions to have a career in teaching upon graduation, I feel confident in the knowledge that my work is of a good standard and people who are already in the industry are passionate about what I have been doing.

Planning for my degree show is now the next thing on the list, I am confident that the work I have produced up to now will work well and be well received. I plan to show my two longer lengths that i have already produced, as well as using the time in between now and the show to create a further longer sample. All of which will be suspended from a pole, and weighted at the bottom, to give the illusion of stretched, taught fabric, as you would expect from my context ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment